Terpene isolates are powerful but combining isolates creates authentic aromatic tapestries, unforgettable flavors, and sought-after effects. Discover why you should take a look at terpene charts.
We can rave about D-Limonene for days and talk about Terpinolene till sundown. We’re not here to say that terpene isolates aren’t incredibly powerful and worthy of research. However, isolates are just a tiny part of the bigger picture. Today, we’re talking about authentic terpene profiles and why they matter.
A big reason authenticity is so important is because you won’t run into terpene blends in nature. Instead, you’ll find complex terpene profiles comprised of unique ratios of various isolates. But why exactly does that matter? Is it better to use complex versus simple terpene profiles for your products? Is an authentic profile always made up of many isolates? Keep reading to learn all that and more.
Reading Time - 7.5 min
Why Authentic and Complex Terpene Profiles Matter
Here’s the short and sweet of what we’re covering today...
- A terpene profile of a terpene blend refers to the many different isolates that make up a plant’s unique aroma, flavor, and effects.
- Because the natural terpenes found in plants are so volatile, it’s simpler and less expensive to infuse your products with terpene blends that have been extracted and curated by terpene experts.
- The terpene profiles of most plants are comprised of a variety of terpene isolates. Sometimes they naturally have very complex profiles, other times they have fewer isolates. It’s all about authenticity. So, if you want your products to actually smell and taste how they’re advertised, authentic terpene profiles are non-negotiable.
- Authentic terpene profiles are also necessary if you want to harness the natural properties and effects of plants. Incorrect terpene ratios will result in less powerful or incorrect effects.
- Abstrax terpene blends are different because we meticulously source our plant matter, they’re tested for a wide variety of applications, we understand that consistency is key to the success of a product (both yours and ours), and we use state-of-the-art technology to ensure maximum authenticity.
What is a Terpene Profile?
In the past, essential oils were considered the purest form of any aroma. Today, however, we can break those down even further and examine the individual terpene isolates that make up that oil. So, when someone talks about the terpene profile of a particular strain of basil, for example, they’re referring to the many different isolates that make up its unique aroma and flavor. This is important when it comes to consistency.
When it comes to manufacturing products, consistency is key. Brand loyalty only happens when a consumer is confident that a product will have the same scent, flavor, and effects every time they make a purchase. And when it comes to the terpenes naturally found in plant matter, that’s tricky.
Depending on a number of factors, two identical plant seeds may end up having very different terpene profiles. Things like weather, soil quality, and even farming techniques can all influence the final aromatic profile of a plant. So, only relying on plant matter to infuse products with flavor and aroma can be expensive and it’s rarely consistent.
That’s why it’s simply more practical to infuse products with terpene blends that have been extracted and curated by terpene experts. That way they consistently maintain all the scent, flavor, and effects consumers know and love.
But what does that have to do with “authentic” terpene profiles?
Why Authentic Terpene Profiles/ Terpene Charts Matter
While every plant has dominant terpene isolates that make up the majority of its scent and aroma, most plants also have trace amounts of many other isolates. We strive to keep our terpene blends as authentic as possible, so if you take a look at one of our many terpene charts and you’ll see what we mean.
Some terpene profiles are complex with over 40 different isolates, but others have fewer because that’s just more true to the plant’s natural profile. Our Director of Research and Development, TJ Martin, explained it like this, “Complexity isn’t just about having LOTS of isolates. What matters is the correct ratios and correct ingredients to properly emulate what the plant is producing. Some plants might have less (like a classic OG), but others (like Berry Runtz or Hippie Crasher Rosin) will have more ingredients because they’re more exotic. Our blends are unique because we understand that concept.”
Using the most advanced 3D analysis to examine plant matter, we’re able to authentically reproduce each cultivar’s unique terpene profile. But why does that matter for you and your products?
Customers Want Authentic Aromas and Flavors
Authenticity is important for several reasons. First, if you tell a consumer your product tastes like Lemon Cheesecake, they’re going to be very disappointed if it doesn’t.
However, when you think about these two very specific flavors (lemons and cheesecake), it makes sense that you’ll need MANY isolates to create such a specific and complicated blend. So, for a blend like Lemon Cheesecake, you really can’t authentically recreate it without a complex terpene profile. A simple terpene profile just wouldn’t cut it.
Authentic Terpene Profiles Harness the Natural Effects of Plants
The natural terpene profiles of plants have very specific effects. Lavender, for example, is particularly relaxing because of the sedative properties of the isolate linalool. However, it’s the combination of ALL the isolates it possesses that creates its unique effects. Other isolates like geraniol and eucalyptol contribute to the overall aroma and flavor, but they also promote more powerful anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. That’s what makes lavender such a useful plant for skincare, and it’s why so many beauty products include lavender terpene blends.
Basically, regardless of whether a lavender terpene blend is simple or complex, it’s about its authenticity. The more authentic it is, the more people will use a product with that blend and think, “Wow, this smells exactly like lavender and puts me in a relaxing state of mind” or “This vape really tastes like OG Kush and gives me the same effects as using actual OG Kush bud.”
Authentic Terpene Profiles And The Entourage Effect
If you’re manufacturing full-spectrum or broad-spectrum cannabis or hemp products, relying on isolates might not cut it. To truly unlock the potential of hemp and cannabis products, you need to harness the power of the Entourage Effect.
In the simplest sense, the entourage effect is a phenomenon that takes place between various cannabinoids and other compounds--mainly terpenes. Cannabinoids (like THC, CBD, THCA, CBG, etc.) have a synergistic relationship with the various terpenes present in the plant. In all honesty, it’s the type of relationship we should all strive for because they make each other stronger.
All joking aside, this synergistic relationship enhances or alters the effects of both cannabinoids and terpenes. Cannabinoids already influence our bodies through various biochemical interactions via the endocannabinoid system. Additionally, terpenes promote a wide variety of effects on our physical and mental states through several different biochemical mechanisms. By harnessing the entourage effect, however, you can create a limitless number of different effects and experiences.
If you’re curious whether complex or simple terpene profiles are better for the entourage effect...so are we!
Legal hurdles make cannabis research incredibly tricky. However, anecdotal evidence suggests that authentic terpene blends will more accurately capture the natural properties and effects of that plant as well. We’d love to give definitive answers, but one of the things we pride ourselves on is good science. And good science means not drawing conclusions or suggesting correlations until we have hard data to back it up. So, once there’s solid evidence, we’ll let you know!
What Makes Abstrax Terpene Profiles Different
Just a few years ago, there weren’t a ton of places you could purchase terpenes from. Today, however, it’s an entirely different picture. Terpene science has exploded and consumers are more informed about the ingredients in their products. That’s why there are more options when it comes to terpene suppliers.
Don’t get us wrong, we LOVE that consumers are curious about terpenes and that manufacturers prefer to use terpenes instead of synthetic aromas. But it also means there are a lot more terpenes to sift through when choosing what to put in your products. So, what makes Abstrax terpenes different?
- We meticulously source the plant matter we use to extract our terpenes. Sometimes we source locally, other times we source plant matter from across the globe. It’s all about finding the best, high-quality plants.
- Some of our profiles are complex, some are simple, but we use state-of-the-art technology to ensure our terpene profiles are authentic.
- Our blends are tested for a variety of practical applications because a blend may taste or smell different in a vape, beverage, edible, etc.
- Both our isolates and blends are consistent. We want your consumers to feel confident that your products will taste, smell, and feel the same with every purchase. That means providing you with terpenes that always taste, smell, and feel the same.
- We freaking love terpene and cannabis science and want to do everything in our power to grow this community and provide high-quality products.
Use Authentic Terpene Profiles For Experiences Consumers Love
Contact us today to talk about infusing your products with the most authentic terpene profiles on the market. Your customers will thank you.